Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Our adoption journey, Part 3

To read Part 1 visit here, to read Part 2, visit here.



I was lost. Which way to go? How to get home? Which road to take on our Journey Towards Parenthood? Just walk, put one foot in front of the other.

I made it home that day, weary and hot. I was gone for hours, it felt like 5 minutes. Dave was home by then and we needed to do some soul searching. We could consider IVF but we would have to use a donor. Our chances would not improve, and it would cost more money. I didn't care...my dream was still alive in my heart. I still saw that little baby from my dreams. I was not ready to give up. We talked, we cried....and then Dave said something that changed my perspective.

"Our dogs are adopted and we love them and they are wonderful."

That sentence made me stop and realize that my dream can still come true. Why did those words make a difference? I don't know, for some reason it made perfect sense to me. That baby in my dreams is still there. She may not grow inside me, but she is already growing inside my heart. She may not BE a part of us, but she will BEcome a part of us. We made a huge and vital decision that day. Our child would have both of our DNA, or none of our DNA. That is a huge decision. Everyone has to choose their own path on this journey. Everyone has to choose the path that works for them. I was also adopted and I had a wonderful childhood. Adoption had been a great experience for me.

This is the path we are to take on our journey...Adoption. Yes, I was ready. I was ready to let go of the pregnancy, labor, breastfeeding. We were ready to become parents. Our hearts were open and ready to love and cherish a child. We were a unit, a working team towards one objective - Parenthood.

The next day I called an adoption attorney and we embarked on another rollercoaster ride.

to be continued...

10 comments:

Beccy said...

I'm glad you were able to choose a path that would work for you. Looking forward to part 4.

ChrisB said...

It's wonderful to be sharing your story~ looking forward to the next part of your journey.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

OK, I'm hooked! Bring on the next bit soon please!

Irene Latham said...

Great story! While I was growing up my parents were foster parents for infants (private adoption agency) -- we had them anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on the legal circumstances. It was always so touching to see a family get created when they met the baby of their dreams for the very first time... I'm sure it was those experiences that led me to get my degrees in social work. There was always that "meant to be" feeling about the adoptions, such a feeling of rightness after all that longing and hoping. I always thought (still do) how lucky that little baby is to be so loved and wanted and not taken for granted.

suchsimplepleasures said...

i love this story. and, i love how you do the cliffhanger! it's great!
and...you're forgiven. but, if you don't join in next week...i'm going to cry ;(

Cynthia said...

YIPEE!

Debra said...

Yes, your children are a part of you whether or not they share your DNA! Once they are yours, they own a piece of your heart which nobody else could EVER touch.

Hugs,
Deb

Anonymous said...

"Our dogs are adopted and we love them and they are wonderful."

What an eye opening statement! So simple and true.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow. That statement was so beautiful and so true. My heart is in my mouth.

Andrya said...

GO DAVE!!! And THAT'S why we love him. No matter how goofy he is, he always has some moment of clarity that puts the whole world back in place. He did it for me when I was 7 and struggling with ADD. THANK YOU for marrying my cousin!!! I love you!!! Can't wait to keeep reading...