Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Footprints of a Family, our second adoption journey, part 5

begin this journey here




Have I mentioned that we are not patient people? The waiting was interminable!! But, we had a daughter to take of and lives to lead....while waiting.


I must admit that I spent countless hours on the computer during these months. After Cassie went to bed at night and during her naps I was perusing adoption sites, bulletin boards...searching for our next angel baby. I did engage in a few email chats with young women, but nothing panned out and I can't remember details anymore. At one point we looked into adopting from Guatemala, but quickly nixed that idea. The financial cost was too great, and we would have to be away from home for too long. It wasn't a good match for our family.


Back to the waiting. Our life was busy, our life was good. Our daughter kept us busy and our minds occupied, she was our saving grace during these months.


August rolled around and our annual camping trip was upon us. Every year we go camping with our best friends (family that you choose). I had to pry myself away from the computer and our voice mail. Off we went for a week of fun, dirt, smores, laughter, and good times. It was a wonderful week. I could almost forget my intense desire for another baby, almost.


Adopting a baby is akin to delving into the unknown. You know you will eventually bring home a new life. You don't know any of the details. When you are pregnant you are given a due date. You know that sometime around this date you will give birth. In adoption you are not given a "due date". You have absolutely no idea when your baby will arrive. You also don't know where he will be born, to whom he will be born to....no details, completely unknown. This is the aspect of adoption that is the hardest to accept, but you don't have a choice. Accept it you must if you want to proceed.


We wanted to proceed. We accepted it and continued on the journey. We tried our best to stay on the right path in our journey, to not get lost or confused during the curves and twists. We knew how our journey would end....we did not know the route it would take.


Our camping trip came to an end and homeward bound we were....dirty and happy. As soon as we got home and started the laundry I checked our email and found this -


"I am 8 weeks pregnant and want to place my baby up for adoption. Please call me.......L"


to be continued...

13 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I just want to tell you that these stories have me on the edge of my seat! I really love reading them. Thank you for sharing.
I hope the family heals quickly.
xoxo

bichonpawz said...

Love your stories....and always look forward to the next installment!

Jennifer said...

Hate installments!!! Hate them!!! I are not patient people either!!

tiki_lady said...

OOHHH< you have done it to me again!!! I can't wait! I love your stories!

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

How exciting for you. Really well written.

Tera said...

Okay, I opened your blog, saw the next installment, ran and got kleenexes, coffee, and choco and sat back down. Your story-telling is amazing...must have something to do with the actors involved! Can't wait to hear about the phone call!!!

ConverseMomma said...

I just got the chills. The calls that change our life, right? A, my son's bio-mom, was 8 weeks preggo with him when she called us.

Heather said...

Oh, this sounds like good news. Can't wait to hear more.

Kim said...

Your cliffhanger is definitely NOT on my Thankful Thursday list! I am an instant gratification kind of girl!

Unknown said...

You keep me hanging on for the next chapter. :) I don't normally follow sequels, but I do yours. :)

Oh, I am happily eating a thin mint cookie as I type. :) Yum! Thanx!

Alix said...

I'm hooked, eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

Irene Latham said...

Hi Alison - I love the comparison you made about the "delving into the unknown" between adoption and pregnancy. It's funny how we able-to-be-pregnant moms take that for granted AND still consider it a mystery! (will baby come early? late? are these contractions real? Braxton's?) Yet baby if safe inside, like a little Russian doll. It's like comparing Hurricane Irene (yes there was one!) to Hurricane Katrina. So much more uncertainty when one is adopting... loving your story, as ever. xxoo

Andrya said...

I miss camping with you guys. We should do it again. I'm busy this summer... all summer really, but how about next summer?
I love you!